Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Most people say Obama 'not decisive, strong, honest, reasonable, or inspiring'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Most people say Obama 'not decisive, strong, honest, reasonable, or inspiring'

Poll: Americans find little to like in Washington

My Way News

Nedra Pickler and Jennifer Agiesta
    10/11/2013

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans are finding little they like about President Barack Obama or either political party, according to a new poll that suggests the possibility of a "throw the bums out" mentality in next year's midterm elections.

The AP-GfK poll finds few people approve of the way the president is handling most major issues and most people say he's not decisive, strong, honest, reasonable or inspiring. -
    (bold and color emphasis added)

In the midst of the government shutdown and Washington gridlock, the president is faring much better than his party, with large majorities of those surveyed finding little positive to say about Democrats. The negatives are even higher for the Republicans across the board, with 4 out of 5 people describing the GOP as unlikeable and dishonest and not compassionate, refreshing, inspiring or innovative.

Negativity historically hurts the party in power - particularly when it occurs in the second term of a presidency - but this round seems to be hitting everyone. More people now say they see bigger differences between the two parties than before Obama was elected, yet few like what either side is offering. A big unknown: possible fallout from the unresolved budget battle in Washington.

View the complete article, including photo and chart, at:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20131011/DA9BQJ1G0.html
    Last edited by bsteadman; 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM.
    B. Steadman

Americans Speaking Out On Gov’t Shutdown: ‘I Think Obama Is Being Kind Of Crappy’

Americans Speaking Out On Gov’t Shutdown: ‘I Think Obama Is Being Kind Of Crappy’

CBS Charlotte

10/10/2013

Excerpt:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The regular book study group at the Rev. Tim Ahrens’ church in middle America always ends with a prayer — most deeply personal, often about a family or friend’s illness. But after one recent meeting, the members held hands in a circle and turned to something far different.

“All they wanted to pray about is the government … and that cooler heads will prevail,” says Ahrens, pastor of the First Congregational United Church of Christ in Columbus, Ohio. “It speaks to the fact that this is deep in the hearts of the people. There’s just a huge concern about the tenor of who we are and how we conduct the business of the country.”

With the government shutdown in its second week and a possible default just days away, many Americans view this epic political clash with frustration, anger and a stoic, here-we-go-again acceptance: They don’t like what they see, don’t agree on who’s to blame and aren’t sure what would be the best solution. But they hope that someone — anyone — comes up with a way out of the mess.

“The bottom line is there’s a logjam that’s ideological and idiotic,” says Ahrens. “What’s happening is awful. What we see is an inability for people to work together and communicate. There’s no excuse for that.”

The red-blue divide has become deeper and more ominous in recent weeks as the two parties have bickered their way closer to possible economic disaster. The White House and Democrats have opposed efforts to defund or delay the 3-year-old health care law, and President Barack Obama has vowed not to negotiate over increasing the federal borrowing authority, which would allow the U.S. to continue to pay its bills and avoid a potential government default. House Speaker John Boehner has insisted the president must negotiate on changes to health care and spending cuts to end the shutdown and raise the debt limit, though says he’s not “drawing lines in the sand.”

It’s all very exasperating to Freda Wilhite, a 75-year-old retired restaurant manager.

“I blame it on all of them,” she says, sitting in a leather armchair in the lobby of the Capital Towers senior-living building in Raleigh, N.C. “I think Obama is being kind of crappy about it. But I also think the Senate or the Congress, whoever it is, is being just as crappy for not trying to reach an agreement — do ANYTHING — to keep the government going.”

Asked which side should give in, Wilhite threw up her hands.

“Lord, I don’t know,” she says. “Somebody should give a little and somebody should give a little more. I don’t know how to fix it. I just know I don’t like it.”

Neither does Ivan Nelson, a third-generation central Illinois farmer.

“It make me angry, but the worst part of it is I’m sitting here not knowing what I’m angry about,” says the 67-year-old corn and bean farmer, taking a morning break from harvesting. “These guys created the (political) system. If they can’t live with it, they can correct it. You think they’d be smart enough to do that.”

The public frustration may cross party lines, but a new Associated Press-GfK poll held Republicans more responsible for the gridlock, with 62 percent mainly blaming the GOP for the shutdown. In contrast, 52 percent believed the president isn’t doing enough to cooperate with the Republicans, according to the survey. The poll also said 82 percent of Democrats see the shutdown as a major problem for the country, compared with 58 percent of Republicans and 57 percent of independents.

Other surveys also have found a public upset with the political process but as divided as lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

“There’s definitely a consensus that the system has become pathologically frozen and something needs to happen,” says Michael Dimock, director of the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. “Compromise is nice in principle but still hard to reach in practice, even among the public.”

View the complete article at:

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/1...ind-of-crappy/
    B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
    X