Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senator Tom Casperson: I Don't Know Where Obama Was Born: Media Not Giving Full Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Tom Casperson: I Don't Know Where Obama Was Born: Media Not Giving Full Story

Senator Tom Casperson: I Don't Know Where Obama Was Born: Media Not Giving Full Story

Birther Report

2/26/2013

Excerpt:

Video

View the complete Birther Report presentation at:

http://obamareleaseyourrecords.blogs...bama-born.html

Statement by Michael Patrick Shiels, host of the 'Big Show' radio broadcast, between the 0:30 and 0:38 marks on the video:

"... I'm looking at a poll here. Only 26% of delegates at the Michigan Republican Party Convention believe that the President was born in the United States."
    B. Steadman

Casperson explains Obama birth comment

Iron Mountain / The Daily News

Kyle Whitney
    3/1/2013

Excerpt:

MARQUETTE - State Senator Tom Casperson has begun distancing himself from statements he made about President Barack Obama's birthplace.

When asked by Michael Shiels, host of the downstate radio and television program "Michigan's Big Show," if he thought Obama was born in the United States, Casperson responded, "Don't know."

When Shiels cited a poll indicating that only 26 percent of delegates to Michigan's Republican Party Convention believe Obama was born in America, Casperson said that number didn't surprise him, based on "everything everybody is saying."

"It seems like that issue was dropped immediately, as far as the major media went, and my gut tells me if it had been a different president, like say George W. Bush, they'd have been digging into that like there was no tomorrow and trying to get to the bottom," he told Shiels. "They never really did try to get to the bottom, and so it became a conspiracy theory and no big deal."

Casperson - who attended the convention and said he was not aware of any poll that took place - said that he was "completely surprised" by the question from Shiels. The host, Casperson said, called Monday evening and asked the senator to appear as a Tuesday morning guest in order to discuss one of his bills currently moving through the legislature. Until the segment began, he said, the topic of Obama's birth never came up.

He said Shiels also put him in a tight spot by mentioning some of Casperson's professional acquaintances as people who doubt claims that Obama was born in the U.S.

"I just simply said 'I don't know' and that's all I said," Casperson said. "I could have done it better ... Quite frankly, when I said I didn't know, I didn't realize it would cause such a firestorm, because it wasn't an issue for me. I've never made it an issue."

Casperson said he paid little attention to the national discussion about Obama's birth certificate, and that, given an audience with Obama, he would choose to discuss many more important things.

Casperson also told Shiels that he thought the national media treats Obama differently than former President George W. Bush.

"I really believe (national) media does play a role in this," he said. "I think had they scrutinized the claim hard right in the beginning - not coming out and dismissing those that made the claim as conspiracy people, but come out and actually look at the claim and dig in and burrow down - they could have solved this or ended it. And they didn't."

The media's role, he added, is to hold "elected officials' feet to the fire."

News organizations, he said, should have stepped up early in the process to end the debate.

"The original documents, if I understood it right, the way they had laid it out, were copies," Casperson said. "They weren't originals. That doesn't mean he's wrong. It just means that was a little bit different in itself. And so, that's where the media could have stepped in immediately and said, 'We want to see the originals and let's make sure this is correct.'"

Casperson said he didn't speak with Shiels following the segment, which also touched on his legislation and on Obama's proposed increase to the federal minimum wage. A representative said Casperson's office has been flooded with phone calls and emails following the Tuesday remarks.

Casperson, who has been busy - penning more than two dozen public acts - since being elected to the Michigan Senate two years ago, said he wants to get back to business.

"Let's move on. There's a lot of things we can have debates about, about the president's policies, and we should have those," he said today. "This is not one of them. This should be put to bed and gone.

.................................................. .

View the complete article at:

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com...h-comment.html
    B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
    X