Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Obama Administration Putting Government Monitors in Newsrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the Obama Administration Putting Government Monitors in Newsrooms?

Why is the Obama Administration Putting Government Monitors in Newsrooms?

ACLJ

Matthew Clark
    2/18/2014

Excerpt:

The Obama Administration’s Federal Communication Commission (FCC) is poised to place government monitors in newsrooms across the country in an absurdly draconian attempt to intimidate and control the media.

Before you dismiss this assertion as utterly preposterous (we all know how that turned out when the Tea Party complained that it was being targeted by the IRS), this bombshell of an accusation comes from an actual FCC Commissioner.

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai reveals a brand new Obama Administration program that he fears could be used in “pressuring media organizations into covering certain stories.”

As Commissioner Pai explains in the Wall Street Journal:

Last May the FCC proposed an initiative to thrust the federal government into newsrooms across the country. With its "Multi-Market Study of Critical Information Needs," or CIN, the agency plans to send researchers to grill reporters, editors and station owners about how they decide which stories to run. A field test in Columbia, S.C., is scheduled to begin this spring.

The purpose of the CIN, according to the FCC, is to ferret out information from television and radio broadcasters about "the process by which stories are selected" and how often stations cover "critical information needs," along with "perceived station bias" and "perceived responsiveness to underserved populations."

In fact, the FCC is now expanding the bounds of regulatory powers to include newspapers, which it has absolutely no authority over, in its new government monitoring program.

The FCC has apparently already selected eight categories of “critical information” “that it believes local newscasters should cover.”

That’s right, the Obama Administration has developed a formula of what it believes the free press should cover, and it is going to send government monitors into newsrooms across America to stand over the shoulders of the press as they make editorial decisions.

This poses a monumental danger to constitutionally protected free speech and freedom of the press.

Every major repressive regime of the modern era has begun with an attempt to control and intimidate the press.

As Thomas Jefferson so eloquently said, "our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost."

The federal government has absolutely no business determining what stories should and should not be run, what is critical for the American public and what is not, whether it perceives a bias, and whose interests are and are not being served by the free press.

It’s an unconscionable assault on our free society.

Imagine a government monitor telling Fox News it needed to cover stories in the same way as MSNBC or Al Jazeera. Imagine an Obama Administration official walking in to the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal and telling it that the American public would be better served if it is stopped reporting on the IRS scandal or maybe that reporting on ObamaCare “glitches” is driving down enrollment.

It’s hard to imagine anything more brazenly Orwellian than government monitors in newsrooms.

Is it any wonder that the U.S. now ranks 46th in the world for freedom of the press? Reporters Without Boarders called America’s precipitous drop of 13 places in its recent global rankings “one of the most significant declines” in freedom of the press in the world.

Freedom of the press is proudly extolled in the First Amendment, yet our nation now barely makes the top fifty for media freedom.

We cannot allow the unfathomable encroachment on our free speech and freedom of the press to continue.

View the complete article at:

http://aclj.org/free-speech-2/why-is...s-in-newsrooms
    Last edited by bsteadman; 02-21-2014, 01:37 PM.
    B. Steadman

Free Republic is running a thread titled, 'Why is the Obama Administration Putting Government Monitors in Newsrooms?', which was started 2/28/2014 by 'ilovesarah2012'

The thread references a 2/18/2014 article at aclj.org written by Matthew Clark - http://aclj.org/free-speech-2/why-is...s-in-newsrooms

View the complete Free Republic thread at:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3124461/posts

Excerpts from comments in the thread:

To: ilovesarah2012

The question is not why is he doing this—the question is, how can he get way with doing this? He has absolutely no authority to do so. In fact, Freedom of the press is pretty far up in the Bill of Rights IIRC…….

11 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:39:36 PM by basil (2ASisters.org)

To: OKSooner

Had the media vetted BO in 2007 and reported on his scandalous and illegal behavior since being elected then he never would have had the power to do this. He never would have been elected in the first place. They get what they deserve.

15 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:40:16 PM by dandiegirl

To: basil

“No authority”

LOL

That is the Obama way. Remember what he said:

While walking with the French president at Monticello, President Obama was heard saying, “That’s the good thing about being president: I can do anything I want.”

20 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:41:23 PM by ilovesarah2012

To: MeshugeMikey

Medical Center won’t let patients watch Fox News

So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered a Michigan health care facility, funded by federal tax dollars, blocked Fox News Channel from its waiting room television sets.

The president of Family Health Care directed staff to block Fox News after a board member complained about our network’s coverage of the Affordable Care Act, an employee told me.

“The board member complained that patients were turning the channel to Fox News,” said the employee who asked not to be identified for reasons related to the unemployment line. “They are pro-ObamaCare and they felt (Fox’s) stance did not mesh with our stance.”

Family Health Care is a private, non-profit business that operates community health centers in five Michigan towns. According to the employee, the health centers have ObamaCare facilitators on site to help people apply for the program.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...atch-fox-news/

“the health centers have ObamaCare facilitators on site”

Why aren’t Americans outraged about this crap??? We are now ranked 46th in Freedom of the Press!!!!

I need more wine.

23 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:45:17 PM by ilovesarah2012

IIRC, the presstitutes are members of the Communications Workers of America union.

26 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:47:16 PM by TurboZamboni (Marx smelled bad and lived with his parents .)

It does seem a little unnecessary for 0bama to put monitors in news rooms.

Pat Caddell slams the media: They have become an “enemy of the people” Sept. 29, 2012(video 26:00)

Emotional Pat Caddell on the MSM ignoring Benghazi: “These people have no honor!” Oct. 27, 2012 (video at link 4:06)

The MSM are enemies of the people!

31 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:50:06 PM by TigersEye (Stupid is a Progressive disease.)

The Neo-Nazi’s are now in firm control of us.

34 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:52:43 PM by Safetgiver ( Islam makes barbarism look genteel.)

To: BitWielder1

Agreed.

Now keep in mind that this is being put forward as a voluntary program. So there’s allegedly an option to say “no thanks” and refuse to host the monitors.

Of course the fact that the monitor program was thought up, put together, implemented and managed by the organization that also just happens to make little things like LICENSING DECISIONS doen’t justify concerns about intimidation, conflicts of interest, etc ... right?

Right?

37 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:55:40 PM by tanknetter

This is straight our of the old Soviet playbook: Place political “officers” in all aspects of life, but especially in those industries or outlets that have a direct influence on public opinion.

The left have been doing something akin to that for years, in schools and college campuses throughout the country. Now, placing them in newsrooms and networks is an in-your-face reminder that the media must tow the government line.

40 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:59:47 PM by ought-six ( Multiculturalism is national suicide, and political correctness is the cyanide capsule.)

CONTINUED IN THE FOLLOWING REPLY
    Last edited by bsteadman; 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM.
    B. Steadman

Comment

EXCERPTS FROM COMMENTS TO THE THREAD CONTINUED FROM ABOVE

The media got in bed with these scum, they can reap the whirlwind for not minding their house (1st Amendment) and freedom of the press by engaging in partisan activities vs. being a watchdog over the government...they have given the commies the rope from which they will be hung...

53 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:18:11 PM by SZonian (Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.)

Why do they need Obamaminders? They don’t need to be told what to make news.

Some of them do it for pay anyway.

CNN, PBS and NPR all receive tax dollars for their news performance.

CBSViacom, ABCDisney, and NBCUniversal all willingly slant their news reporting in favor of the regime.

And we are watching Faux cave in realtime.

Your only source of truth is elsewhere.

68 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:34:59 PM by Old Sarge (TINVOWOOT: There Is No Voting Our Way Out Of This)

To: ilovesarah2012; Jim Robinson

Yes ladies & gentlemen, it has been done before - the Editors Law of October 4, 1933

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007655

"Propaganda Ministry officials expected editors and journalists, who had to register with the Reich Press Chamber to work in the field, to follow the mandates and instructions handed down by the ministry. In paragraph 14 of the law, the regime required editors to omit anything “calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home.”

The Propaganda Ministry aimed further to control the content of news and editorial pages through directives distributed in daily conferences in Berlin and transmitted via the Party propaganda offices to regional or local papers. Detailed guidelines stated what stories could or could not be reported and how to report the news. Journalists or editors who failed to follow these instructions could be fired or, if believed to be acting with intent to harm Germany, sent to a concentration camp. Rather than suppressing news, the Nazi propaganda apparatus instead sought to tightly control its flow and interpretation and to deny access to alternative sources of news."

Tore a page right from the Third Reich playbook.

73 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:56:26 PM by lapsus calami (What's that stink? Code Pink ! ! And their buddy Murtha, too!)

To: Jim Robinson

“Marxist/facist Stalinist bastard!”

This is very serious. Every day since he has been president, there has been a take over of something and it's done by creating agencies and rules for that agency, keeping it under control of the executive division of government - Hussein Obama.

This has been so well planned since his first day in OUR house, it has to be a Saul Alinsky/Obama detailed plan.

There are over 300 million souls in this country and these two men, Alinsky/Obama, are destroying these souls by destroying the foundation of their lives - this country.

Where are the Benjamin Franklins, George Washingtons, John Adams, Thomas Jeffersons, John Jays, James Madisons, James Madisons, and Alexander Hamiltons - these men are considered the key founders of this country - do we not have any men of character like the founders who will stand up and stop this? Where is the revolutionary spirit - did it die with these men and every man who put his life on the line at that time?

I only see TWO men in the federal government who refuse to give in to this tyranny and that is Ted Cruz and Mike
      (Lee)... If there are others, they are not speaking up loudly enough.

If this Alinsky/Obama cancer cannot be stopped by those in government, we are going to have true revolution with blood spilled on the ground just as we did to gain independence from England.

Someone told me today not to buy a plant grow light because the feds think everyone who buys a grow light is using it to grow marijuana and they will come after you. I said, “Bovine scat, I will buy what I please and to hell with Obama and his henchmen."

Are any of you afraid to write your opinion on the net for fear of being rounded up by Obama’s henchmen? I am a prepper and Homeland Security thinks preppers may be domestic terrorists. Do I stop writing prepper articles for a website because I fear the goons at Homeland Security?

I have lived 80 years and never in my life did I have any reason to fear the government would jerk me up and imprison me due to my opinion or anything I wrote.

Live free and don't cower before this tyranny. I speak of men in government and men across this nation taking steps to stop this. I am a woman and in the past, a doctor checked the level of testosterone I had and the report showed I was at the top number of testosterone for women. I asked him if that meant I had balls, and he didn't get the joke. Well, men, consider me Joan of Arc or Michonne on “Walking Dead”, because I will be right there with you.

We must stop this tyranny and take back this country and that takes action - if our Representatives and Senators can't do it, then we will have to do it by physical action. I am totally pissed off that my country of over 300 million souls is letting this happen. I refuse to let it happen. How about you?

96 posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:45:08 PM by Marcella ((Prepping can save your life today. I am a Christian, not a Muslim.))
      B. Steadman

Comment

Obama’s News Police

FrontPage Magazine

Matthew Vadum
        2/21/2014

Excerpt:

The Obama administration is planning to send what critics characterize as government spies into the newsrooms of the nation’s media outlets.

This unprecedented assault on Americans’ First Amendment freedoms is part of the Community Organizer-in-Chief’s political war against the few pockets of media resistance he has encountered at Fox News and in the world of talk radio. Sending federal bureaucrats to meddle in newsroom affairs by conducting an alleged “study” will chill news coverage and make government-licensed broadcast media think twice about airing stories that place the Obama administration in a bad light.

To this end the Federal Communications Commission is moving forward with its “Multi-Market Study of Critical Information Needs,” or CIN. Although the FCC is a regulatory body, not a research organization, it plans to send researchers to question reporters, editors, and station owners about how they decide which stories to run. In the spring a field test is set for Columbia, S.C.

The FCC intends to discover “the process by which stories are selected,” how often stations cover “critical information needs,” the media outlets’ “perceived station bias,” and “perceived responsiveness to underserved populations.” The phrase “underserved populations” is politically correct neo-Marxist jargon and a screaming red flag that some kind of quota system may be on its way.

Republican members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee attacked the study idea, saying it was a step towards a “Fairness Doctrine 2.0.”

“Given the widespread calls for the Commission to respect the First Amendment and stay out of the editorial decisions of reporters and broadcasters, we were shocked to see that the FCC is putting itself back in the business of attempting to control the political speech of journalists,” all Republicans on the committee wrote in a letter to new FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

“It is wrong, it is unconstitutional, and we urge you to put a stop to this most recent attempt to engage the FCC as the ‘news police.’”

In an interview with Fox’s Megyn Kelly, Townhall.com news editor Katie Pavlich eviscerated the proposed study:

I don’t understand why the Obama administration hasn’t understood this idea that when the Department of Justice monitored the phone lines of journalists, and their parents by the way, that wasn’t enough to them. Now they want to send investigators into newsrooms all over the country whether it’s broadcast or print. They have no business sending those people into our newsrooms. How we gather news is none of the government’s business. And this isn’t about the FCC getting people the information that they, quote, need, as they claim. This is about controlling what people say and this is about intimidating the news through these –whatever you want to call them– navigators.

Pavlich, author of the New York Times bestselling book, Fast and Furious: Barack Obama’s Bloodiest Scandal and the Shameless Cover-Up, continued:

I just think it’s such an asinine concept that the government, government bureaucrats are now going to be appointed to come in and monitor professionals, editors, reporters, and decide the best way for them to gather news as if they don’t know what they’re doing and then to try and shift the focus from certain stories to others.

The leftist radicals at Obama’s FCC know they won’t be able to nationalize media outlets outright. They would love nothing more than to force the nation’s free media institutions to take race, class, and sex into account in future reporting.

Mark Lloyd, appointed by Obama as FCC diversity czar from 2009 to 2012, gave away the game, explaining years ago one of the ways the left planned to mau-mau its perceived opponents in the media. In short, the left wants to harass media outlets into docility in order to allow the fundamental transformation of America to proceed.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/mat...s-news-police/
        B. Steadman

Comment

It’s Talk Show Radio the FCC is REALLY After

Canada Free Press

Judi McLeod
          2/21/2014

Excerpt:

Dress newsroom monitors of the Obama Regime’s FCC in jackboots and military caps when they come to invade because the “Multi-Market Study of Critical Information Needs” (CINS) they proposed last May is truly all about image.

Why are they sending monitors into the newsrooms at this particular juncture of the Fundamental Transformation of America?

Because it shores up Obama’s Marxist fear factor. We’ve got ObamaCare, ready to be propped up with pictures of dogs, cats and other pets in a $1 million advertising campaign aimed at the same young people, dubbed “knuckleheads” by Michelle Obama. We’ve got ‘Braggadocio Barry’s increasingly loud boasts that he’s got a pen and a phone with which to circumvent Congress.

The Marxist march through all of America’s public institutions is now ready to place a jackbooted-presence down at your local radio and television station.

Here’s the hidden message: Run, hide, cower under the nearest desk, CINS is on the way.

When the KGB and the Stasi invaded the news rooms of Russia and Germany, they killed off any who showed resistance. In their mad, unquenchable thirst for power the Obama Regime thinks its people are already dead.

In their warped Marxist way, they can always frighten to death any of those those still kicking.

CINS is only the fear factor of the Marxist way being made manifest.

This is the transparency that is there for those who want to look the latest move of the Obama regime right in the face: They want you to feel boxed in. They want you to feel trapped. They want you to believe you are the flies trapped in the capped bottle with no way out. They want you to stop believing in yourself and in your family and friends. They want you to believe you have no right to find any of the few jobs left because Uncle Sugar can look after you right in your own home. And what they want most is for you to stop believing in God, believing instead in the power of the regime.

In other words, CINS fits like the snug proverbial glove in Obama’s shock-a-day trademark style.

Finding transparency clearly shows they already control the media and have done so ever since Senator Barack Obama came into the Oval Office.

“In a controversial move, the Obama administration is looking to send the FCC in to investigate how the media chooses stories.” (Fox News, Feb. 20, 2014)

What a joke! The regime already knows how the media chooses stories, in fact in the case of the alphabet networks it already chooses the stories for them with zero complaints for the past five years.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/61314
          B. Steadman

Comment

FCC Commissioner Speaks Out: ‘Government Doesn’t Have a Place in the Newsroom’

Mediaite

Josh Feldman
            2/20/2014

Excerpt: | 7:42 pm, February 20th, 2014 video 105

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai brought people’s attention to a planned FCC study to study U.S. newsrooms and warned about its First Amendment implications. Pai joined Greta Van Susteren on Thursday to speak out further, saying there is a danger in giving the government oversight of a free press.

It’s not the FCC directly conducting the study, it’s an outside contractor, but these researchers will be going, at the behest of the regulatory agency, into newsrooms to “figure out why they cover the stories that they do,” Pai explained, and he said he went public because he was “concerned about what this implicated for our First Amendment values.”

Pai told Van Susteren that the questions about “news philosophy and editorial judgment” will be taken out, as per new statements today by the head of the FCC, but even with that, Van Susteren said, “You’d have to be out of your mind to have proposed this in the first place.” Pai agreed that “government doesn’t have a place in the newsroom,” and while the FCC has an authority to report on “barriers” to news access, he argued that thanks to the “unparalleled amount of choice” people have for media consumption, there are fewer barriers to media access than ever.

View the complete article, including video, at:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fcc-commi...room%E2%80%99/
            B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
            X