Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama vows, again, to try to close Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay detention camp) 2013.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama vows, again, to try to close Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay detention camp) 2013.

"It is inefficient, it hurts us in terms of our international standing, it lessens co-operation with our allies on counter-terrorism efforts, it is a recruitment tool for extremists, it needs to be closed," Obama said.

"I think it is critical for us to understand that Guantanamo is not necessary to keep America safe," Obama said.

Obama's comments come amid a hunger strike that has spread in recent weeks to include more than 100 of the 166 inmates at the facility.

Detainees are protesting against their indefinite detention. Most are being held without charge.

In his remarks, Obama seemed to support the US practice of force-feeding some hunger-strikers.

"I don't want these individuals to die," Obama said. "Obviously the Pentagon is trying to manage the situation as best we can."

Renewed attempts at closing Gitmo/Camp Delta/Guantanamo Bay detention camp is the best news I've heard from Obama in a long time.

I hope that Congress will not thwart or prevent efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.
Working...
X