• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphene - Used in light bulbs

Graphene light bulb set for shops

BBC News

3/28/2015

Excerpt:

A light bulb made with graphene - said by its UK developers to be the first commercially viable consumer product using the super-strong carbon - is to go on sale later this year.

The dimmable bulb contains a filament-shaped LED coated in graphene. It was designed at Manchester University, where the material was discovered.

It is said to cut energy use by 10% and last longer owing to its conductivity.

The National Graphene Institute at the university was opened this month.

The light bulb was developed by a Canadian-financed company called Graphene Lighting - one of whose directors is Prof Colin Bailey, deputy vice-chancellor at the University of Manchester.

It is expected to be priced lower than some LED bulbs, which can cost about £15 each.

Based on traditional light bulb design, the use of graphene allows it to conduct electricity and heat more effectively.

Prof Bailey told the BBC: "The graphene light bulb will use less energy. We expect it to last longer. The manufacturing costs are lower and it uses more and more sustainable components."

View the complete article, including photos, at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32100071
    Last edited by bsteadman; 03-29-2015, 02:49 AM.
    B. Steadman

Graphene light bulbs (filament-shaped LED coated in graphene), very interesting!

I will keep on eye on this. Thanks for posting.

At the moment I light my house with 14w (75w replacement) GE LED lights (1100 lumens):

GE 14w LED light 1100 lumens 75w.jpg

Comment

LUCAS , if you learn that graphene is being used as filaments for low cost bulbs and tubes , let us know . At this time , I use flourescent tubes and bulbs ~ all made by the chinkanese.

Comment

Working...
      X