• Show
Clear All

• General Comments regarding E-Cat technology from Andrea Rossi

Rossi on Open Source, Again

E-Cat World

admin
    8/29/2013

Excerpt:

Andrea Rossi again addresses the issue of open source in response to a comment from Remi Andre who appeals to him to release his IP to the world as a means to avert armed over energy — specifically in Syria. Rossi’s response:

I answered many times to this issue. To give away the IP will kill all the serious investments, for obvious reasons. We are making a rigorous work of test and validation and when it will have been finished our technology will reach a wide diffusion made by the concerns that now are investing because they have an IP.

My responsibility is to make this technology have the strongest possible backing to be really useful, not to go to the Nirvana. Honestly, I think we have to serve God not to go to the Nirvana, but to merit the life and give a sense to it. If you want to really diffuse a technology you need real backing, and no backing has ever been given to open source stuff. You have a paradigmatic example if you make a comparative analisys between Linus [Linux] and Microsoft. Should we give away the IP we would lose all the serious backers and should have a Brancaleon’s Armada of clowns playing with it.

About the situation in Siria, I do not agree with you. The situation in Siria is enormously more complex than you say, even if today they always say that whatever happens of bad is born by the bad guys dealing with energy. As a matter of fact the sociological evolution (revolution?) in Africa and Middle East has much more complex origins: it is the difficult awakening of a people that disrupts equilibria made by leadind classes that have not understood the line of evolution of History. Energy plays a marginal role in this situation.

Thank you for your kind and persistent attention, for which I conserve gratitude.

This is all consistent with what Rossi has said in the past. His position that no one would put substantial financial resources behind his technology if they did not think that they would have exclusive rights to it, and without that backing the E-Cat could not be developed to the level it needs in order to make a positive difference in the world.

I had to look up the reference to Brancaleon’s Armada, and it refers to an Italian comedy movie (L’armata Brancaleone) about an inept army led by a knight, and the term has come to mean in Italian “a group of badly assembled and useless people.”

I am sure there are many who will disagree with Rossi’s comparison to Linux and Microsoft. Linux seems to have been a great success in terms of open source development, with Linux serving as the kernel for such widespread programs as Ubuntu and Android which are used all over the world. Software, however, is a very different medium than building hardware like LENR reactors, and it would be much harder to organize an open source manufacturing network than a purely digital one.

View the complete post at:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/08/ro...-source-again/
    B. Steadman

Rossi Strikes More Hopeful Tone Regarding E-Cat Tests

E-Cat World

Admin
    2/13/2014

Excerpt:

I posted a question to Andrea Rossi on the Journal of Nuclear Physics about the value of partnering with Industrial Heat with their location in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina, and with the various contacts they have in the high tech industry.

Rossi responded:

With Industrial Heat we are making an important work of R&D, validation and industrialization. We are a strong team. The impact of the partnership has been and is extremely productive. About the results, I prefer to wait the results of the R&D and validation work in course. In Industrial Heat I am the chief scientist and as such I can talk about the results only after the validation in course will have been consolidated, based upon long term rigorous measurements.

The results could be positive, as we have reason to hope, but also negative. We have still a lot of work to do, and we are making a lot of work.

He didn’t answer my question in much detail (as usual) but gives an indication that he is very happy with the partnership. He mentions this time that in addition to being involved in R&D and validation, they are also working on ‘industrialization’, which is a new emphasis.

View the complete article, including comments, at:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/02/ro...g-e-cat-tests/
    Last edited by bsteadman; 02-14-2014, 10:49 PM.
    B. Steadman

Comment

Rossi on E-Cat’s Theoretical Limits

E-Cat World

admin
      2/15/2014

Excerpt:

There’s been some interesting discussion on the Journal of Nuclear Physics between Steven Karels and Andrea Rossi about the theoretical limits of the size of an E-Cat. There was a misunderstanding earlier this week in which Rossi seemed to say that was no limitation to the size of an individual E-Cat reactor; today he corrected himself, explaining that he meant there was no theoretical limit to the size of an E-Cat plant, but apparently you can only make an E-Cat reactor so large.

In that context, Steven Karels posted some questions on the JONP about what might be possible with the E-Cat, and Rossi gave some answers.

1. Is the 100kW eCat reactor still a possibility?
      A. a possibility yes, a reality no

2. Could we expect the possibility of a 10MW eCat unit?
      A. yes

3. With such a unit and the previously envisioned 2.5GW thermal source, this could be implemented with an ensemble of 250 each 10MW eCat units to power a 1GW electrical power generation station. Do you see this as a possibility?
      A. as a matter of fact, I do not see why so many modules cannot be combined in an assembly.

View the complete article, including comments, at:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/02/ro...etical-limits/
      B. Steadman

Comment

Rossi Hopes to Retrofit Coal Power Plants With E-Cats

E-Cat World

admin
        2/19/2014

Excerpt:

Andrea Rossi gave an interesting short comment on the Journal of Nuclear Physics when asked by Bernie Koppenhofer whether he agreed that with anticipated efficiencies, the hot cat would be suitable for retrofitting existing inefficient power plants.

Rossi responded: “Yes, retrofitting coal plants in particular”

I followed up with a comment about Industrial Heat visiting China and asked whether he thought it would be possible for China someday to generate electricity with the hot cat, rather than coal, and Rossi said only “I hope so.”

My guess is that this is a topic that is being discussed extensively at Industrial Heat. Rossi has said that a priority for the company is to develop the ability to generate electricity efficiently. Two days ago he wrote:

“We will publish the range of temperatures we are reaching in stable operarions as soon as the R&D and validation in curse will have been completed. If we will be able to get positive results, the ranges of temperature will be enough high to allow gas turbines or very good efficiencies with the Carnot cycle, especially in co-generation or three-generation assemblies.”

View the complete article at:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/02/ro...s-with-e-cats/
        B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
        X