Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Cat Technology? - Background - Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Cat Technology? - Background - Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR)

What is the E-Cat?

E-Cat World
    Following the Low Energy Nuclear Reaction Revolution

Excerpt:

The following information about the E-Cat has been gathered over the past year from statements by Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi, Rossi’s collaborator. So far, no thorough independent examination of the E-Cat has been permitted — but numerous tests have taken place in which outside observers have been involved in and have their reports have been published.

E-Cat is short for the term “energy catalyzer” and is a device in which hydrogen gas, powdered nickel metal, and undisclosed proprietary catalysts are combined to produce a large amount of heat through a little understood low energy nuclear reaction (LENR) process inside a specially designed chamber. The inner workings of the reactor are covered by a trade secret which Rossi consistently refuses to discuss.

In this process, when an external heat source is applied (Electric or fossil) to the reaction chamber, large amounts of thermal energy (heat) are produced, much more than could be accounted for from chemical reactions. From reports of tests, it appears that the reaction begins when the reactor is heated to around 60 degrees Celsius, and once the reaction is stable, the external heat can be turned off and the reaction can continue for a considerable length of time. In an October 6th test in Bologna, Italy, the E-Cat ran without external heat (referred to as ‘self-sustain mode) for almost four hours, maintaining a constant temperature and boiling water continuously. Initially, Rossi and Focardi believed, and stated that the heat was generated because the nucleus of a hydrogen atom, a proton, penetrated a nickel nucleus and in doing so a nickel atom became a copper atom. Now Rossi states that while transmutation does take place, it is more of a side effect, and the core effect is caused by some undisclosed mechanism. Rossi says he has a firm understanding of what is taking place, but will not disclose his theory until he has patent protection.

How long the E-Cat can run in self sustain mode without external heat being applied is unknown, but Andrea Rossi has said that for safe and stable operations it is necessary that the external heat source be cycled on and off.

The energy produced by the nuclear reactions is used to heat water, and the output of the E-Cat is hot water or steam. Lead and Boron are used as a shield to prevent the release of gamma rays during the reactions, and when the reactions are complete (The hydrogen input is turned off) there is no radioactive waste.

The significance of the E-Cat as an energy source is that it can produce energy at a much cheaper rate and much more cleanly than other sources on the market. The major ingredients, nickel and hydrogen are common elements and readily available at low cost and are consumed in very small quantities. There is no release of CO2 or other greenhouse gases from the E-Cat. Unlike traditional nuclear fission power, no radioactive materials are involved, and no radioactive waste is produced.

Rossi has been awarded a patent for the E-Cat by the Italian Patent Office and is seeking further patent protection.

Andrea Rossi launched the first commercial E-Cat plant, a 1 MW thermal power plant in Bologna, Italy on October 28th, 2011 which was tested and certified as being acceptable by an agent for an unknown customer. Rossi has stated that the customer is a military entity that does not want to be identified.

Rossi’s Leonardo Corporation is planning to move into the domestic market within between a year and eighteen months, and has already started production of parts for one million small 10-20 kW E-Cat units that can provide heat and air conditioning to homes. Rossi has said that his target price for these first units is going to be around $1000 each.

Rossi has said that while electrical generation is possible with this device, there is still work to do in order for E-Cats to produce electricity efficiently. The first generation of small E-Cats will not come with electrical generation capacity, but these units will be able to be retrofitted with electricity generating modules once that technology has been perfected. Second generation E-Cats will be able to produce heat, cooling and electricity.

According to Rossi, the cost of energy produced by these E-Cats will be at least one sixth of the cost of conventional sources. Every six months, E-Cat units will need to have their reaction chambers which contain processed nickel and the catalyst replaced by licensed agents of Leonardo Corporation.

Recently (August 2012) Rossi has reported the development of an E-Cat reactor that can reach temperatures of ‘well over’ 1000C. These reactors, he says, will be capable of producing high temperature steam that will be able to produce electricity efficiently. These high temperature reactors are only going to be available (for the time being at least) in industrial level E-Cat plants — not for home use. Rossi has said that a significant report on these reactors, which will include validation from external validators, will be published at some time. There is no timeline for publication, but the 3rd party testing concluded in March of 2013.

View the complete post at:

http://www.e-catworld.com/what-is-the-e-cat/
    Last edited by bsteadman; 05-03-2013, 03:00 PM.
    B. Steadman

Why I Believe in The E-Cat

E-Cat World
    Following the Low Energy Nuclear Reaction Revolution

There have been all kinds of opinions set forward on the Internet regarding Andrea Rossi’e E-Cat. Many thoughtful and reasonable comments have been made here and elsewhere expressing doubt about Andrea Rossi’s claims. There have also been less tactful ones. I think I understand people’s wariness and doubtfulness. There are many good reasons not to trust people just because they make an extraordinary claim, and history teaches us that many of the most exciting and tantalizing pronouncements about miraculous breakthroughs have turned out to be empty words intended to deceive and defraud.

So it is no wonder that there is for some skepticism about Rossi and his claims. I was quite skeptical too when I first heard about Rossi and the E-Cat, but over time I have climbed off the fence and stepped firmly on to the believer’s side, and here are some of the reasons why.

1. Sergio Focardi. His statements about what he learned and witnessed during his work with Rossi are very forthright and unequivocal. He has stated that he believes that we are a the dawn of a new age of energy production based on Rossi’s invention.

2. Guiseppe Levi. His statements about what he has measured in testing done on the E-Cat are similar to Focardi’s.

3. Sven Kullander and Hanno Essen. These respected Swedish scientists were able to participate in testing of the E-Cat and both have gone on record stating they could find no other explanation for the energy production they witnessed other than a new kind of nuclear reaction.

I am sure that all of these established academics are not part of any grand conspiracy to trick the world into thinking that Rossi has come up with a new form of energy when they know he hasn’t — and based on the closeness of their work with Rossi (especially Focardi, who worked with Rossi over a long period of time) I don’t see any way that Rossi could have hoodwinked these professors with some kind of rigged machine.

4. The October 6th test in which the E-Cat self sustained for almost 5 hours and heated water a constant temperature without any energy input. Again, I don’t believe that Rossi would have been able to have faked this demonstration.

5. Andrea Rossi himself. I find his words and actions convincing. The way he his going about his business seems rational given the circumstances and, most interesting, there doesn’t seem to be anything going on at the moment that resembles a scam. There has been no appeal for the public to send him money — and no one has come forward and said that Rossi has tried to defraud them. Some people might think that he is simply insane and delusional, but I go back to the involvement of the professors — if Rossi was insane, it would not have taken long for these men to realize it, and they certainly wouldn’t have stepped forward publicly to identify themselves professionally with such a person.

6. National Instruments have verified that Andrea Rossi’s account of their relationship is an accurate one. Rossi said they had worked together and that NI had been very helpful in providing advice, even though Leonardo Corp ultimately decided to work with another company.

7. Professor Roland Pettersson, retired associate professor of chemistry at Uppsala University in Sweden has commented positively on two E-Cat demonstrations he has witnessed. He was present at the October 6th demo in Bologna, and more recently attended a private demonstration on February 20th in Bologna. NyTeknik reports that Pettersson said he saw the recently upgraded 1 MW plant and a prototype of the domestic E-Cat.

I don’t doubt that there are still problems to be overcome with regards to engineering and commercialization. This ‘new fire’ could be hard to tame, and Rossi has set a very ambitious timetable for starting the sale of home-based E-Cats (Autumn of this year). I wouldn’t be surprised if that date was pushed back given all the logistics involved in putting a production network together. I think it’s also possible that political and legal barriers may put in place to slow down a revolution, but it will be very hard to keep a technology as powerful this from breaking through.

I believe that Rossi has made a very important discovery that will eventually lead to far more advanced and cost effective energy production than we now know. Rossi seems to realize this too, and is doing all in his power to bring his invention to light, including keeping the cost as low as possible so everyone will be able to afford it. As he says, “This will be a revolution, and, as I said already, a revolution must be popular to survive.”

Is there a chance that I am wrong in my conclusions? Of course — I’m certainly not infallible. But I have tried to be as logical and reasonable about this case as I can be, and from every way I look at things, I believe that an E-Cat revolution is not far away.

Frank Acland

http://www.e-catworld.com/why-i-believe-in-the-e-cat/
    B. Steadman

Comment

Free Republic is running a thread titled, 'Hot' E-Cat Photo Published [Andrea Rossi's LENR Reactor], which was started 5/3/2013 by 'Normandy'

The thread references a 5/3/2013 post by Frank Acland on E-Cat World - http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/05/hot-hot-cat-picture/

View the complete Free Republic thread at:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bl...0/posts?page=1
      B. Steadman

Comment

E-Cat Technology sounds compelling. My brain has been drained today (and yesterday and last night) so I will need to read it tomorrow when I can properly absorb the information. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Free Republic ran a thread titled, (E-cats) "NyTeknik Reports on Halted Swedish Investment in Hydrofusion Following Tests..., which was started 9/12/2012 by 'count-your-change'

The thread referenced a 9/10/2012 E-Cat World post by staff - http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energ...cle3535258.ece

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2930197/posts

Excerpt:

Hydrofusion today issued the following press release on their web site: Hydro Fusion witnessed a new independent test of the high temperature ECAT prototype reactor on September 6th in Bologna. Although no full report has yet been received, early indications are that the results of the July 16th/August 7th reports could not be reproduced. Hydro Fusion cannot at this stage support any claims made, written or other, about the amount of excess heat generated by the new high temperature ECAT prototype
          B. Steadman

Comment

Free Republic is running a thread titled, 'Andrea Rossi & Roger Green Fraud & Scam Update (E-Cat), which was started 5/3/2013 by 'mnehring'

The thread references a 'Shut Down Rossi' post - http://shutdownrossi.com/law-legal-i...d-scam-update/

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 8:22:26 PM by mnehring

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3015554/posts

Excerpt:

As Rossi’s e-Cat is barely staying alive on life support, and long time friends and bloggers are losing interest, and closing down blogs, Mr. Roger Green is trying to cash in as the e-Cat gasps its last few breaths, to try and recoup his money back, leaving these last few rounds of investors holding the bag.

What you will find is that Roger Green and Andrea Rossi have reached a new low.
            They are selling “shares” in a Japan organization that does not exist yet, to buy a “license” that does not exist yet, and the “license” is for products that do not exist, have never existed, and will never exist.
            -
            (bold and color emphasis added)

This article is an update to two articles – here are the links to those articles:

More Legal Fraud in Rossi Farce

The details in the article “More Legal Fraud in Rossi Farce” related to violations of law and the fraudulent use of signatures claiming to be the signature of Mr. Andrea Rossi, when it clearly is/was not. We add another signature to that article.

E-Cat Australia Roger Green

The article “E-Cat Australia Roger Green” was a shining light on the details of how Mr. Green and Mr. Rossi carried on their fraud and scam including the posting of over 100 emails. We have emails from Mr. Roger Green on this update also but the documents speak for themselves so posting the emails is not required.

We would like to thank Doug Marker, Australia/new Zealand, for passing on this information.

This latest round of attempts to get people’s money by selling licenses or shares of a license by fraud and a scam includes claiming to have products that do not exist, and technology that does not exist – started when Mr. Roger Green sent out a new round of documents to potential investors.

Highlights of the hurried plea for more suckers to jump on the band wagon is below:

“Be quick. As I say, be quick, I want to have this completed by this weekend

Andrea Rossi has just released first option to me (Roger Green) E-cat Australia PTY, LTD (Founder Breakthru-Technologies) for the exclusive E-cat Technology for the JAPANESE market place!

This is based on having successfully raised investment into the Spain (completed) African Continent (completed) and India, Indonesia, South Korea, South East Asia and NZ/Australian market places.

Min parcels of shares start at $25,000.”

Last edited by bsteadman; 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM.
            B. Steadman

Comment

Lucas,

It now appears highly likely to me that this fascinating 'almost too good to be true' technology is just another scam.

See the references to the two most recent Free Republic threads I have entered on this thread.

I will probably be checking back on the topic from time to time on the net, but I will refrain from any further posting about it here, unless something really game-changing occurs. Too bad!
              Last edited by bsteadman; 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM.
              B. Steadman

Comment

Thank you for the update, Bruce. I agree that is too bad.

Comment

Finally! Independent Testing Of Rossi's E-Cat Cold Fusion Device: Maybe The World Will Change After All

Forbes

Mark Gibbs
                  5/20/2013

Excerpts:

Back in October 2011 I first wrote about Italian engineer, Andrea Rossi, and his E-Cat project, a device that produces heat through a process called a Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR).

Very briefly, LENR, otherwise called cold fusion, is a technique that generates energy through low temperature (far lower than hot fusion temperatures which are in the range of tens off thousands of degrees) reactions that are not chemical. Most importantly, LENR is, theoretically, much safer, much simpler, and many orders of magnitude cheaper than hot fusion. Rather than explaining LENR in detail here please see my original posting for a more complete explanation.

My next post on this topic was here on Forbes a few days later and, as the labyrinthine and occasionally ridiculous saga developed, I tried to sort fact from fiction in a series of posts (see the list at the end of this posting) which covered everything from unconvincing demos, through an Australian businessman offering Rossi $1 million to show independently tested proof, to other players in the LENR market showing interesting results.

I haven’t posted about Rossi and his E-Cat since last August simply because there wasn’t much to report other than more of Rossi’s unsupported and infuriating claims that included building large-scale automated factories to churn out millions of E-Cats (the factories still have no sign of actually existing) through to unsubstantiated performance claims that sounded far too good to be true.

What everyone wanted was something that Rossi has been promising was about to happen for months: An independent test by third parties who were credible. This report was delayed several times to the point where many were wondering whether it was all nothing more than what we have come to see as Rossi’s usual “jam tomorrow” promises. But much to my, and I suspect many other people’s surprise, a report by credible, independent third parties is exactly what we got.

Published on May 16, the paper titled “Indication of anomalous heat energy production in a reactor device” would appear to deliver what we wanted.

The paper was authored by Giuseppe Levi of Bologna University, Bologna, Italy; Evelyn Foschi, Bologna, Italy; Torbjörn Hartman, Bo Höistad, Roland Pettersson and Lars Tegnér of Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden; and Hanno Essén, of the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. While some of these people have previously been public in their support of Rossi and the E-Cat they are all serious academics with reputations to lose and the paper is detailed and thorough.

The actual test reactor, called the E-Cat HT, was described by the testers as:

… a high temperature development of the original apparatus which has also undergone many construction changes in the last two years – is the latest product manufactured by Leonardo Corporation: it is a device allegedly capable of producing heat from some type of reaction the origin of which is unknown.

They described the E-Cat HT as:

… a cylinder having a silicon nitride ceramic outer shell, 33 cm in length, and 10 cm in diameter. A second cylinder made of a different ceramic material (corundum) was located within the shell, and housed three delta-connected spiral-wire resistor coils. Resistors were laid out horizontally, parallel to and equidistant from the cylinder axis, and were as long as the cylinder itself. They were fed by a TRIAC power regulator device which interrupted each phase periodically, in order to modulate power input with an industrial trade secret waveform. This procedure, needed to properly activate the E-Cat HT charge, had no bearing whatsoever on the power consumption of the device, which remained constant throughout the test. The most important element of the E-Cat HT was lodged inside the structure. It consisted of an AISI 310 steel cylinder, 3 mm thick and 33 mm in diameter, housing the powder charges. Two AISI 316 steel cone-shaped caps were hot-hammered in the cylinder, sealing it hermetically.

There were two test runs of the E-Cat HT (the emphasis is mine):

The present report describes the results obtained from evaluations of the operation of the E-Cat HT in two test runs. The first test experiment, lasting 96 hours (from Dec. 13th 2012, to Dec. 17th 2012), was carried out by the two first authors of this paper, Levi and Foschi, while the second experiment, lasting for 116 hours (from March 18th 2013, to March 23rd 2013), was carried out by all authors.

The authors also note various assumptions they made about the test and that they weren’t in control of all of the aspects of the process but they apparently didn’t consider any of these to be egregious enough to be showstoppers.

And now, the big reveal … the authors’ conclusions are (again, the emphasis is mine):

if we consider the whole volume of the reactor core and the most conservative figures on energy production, we still get a value of (7.93 ± 0.8) 102 10^2 MJ/Liter that is one order of magnitude higher than any conventional source.

To put that in perspective, the ... graph
                  (shown in the article) plots the peak power of various energy sources against their specific energy (energy per unit mass). As you can see, gasoline is way out in front in terms of how much energy is available and how much power can be delivered but if this paper is correct, you can make that “gasoline was way out in front” because, as can be seen, the E-Cat has roughly four orders of magnitude more specific energy and three orders of magnitude greater peak power than gasoline! - (bold and color emphasis added)

While a few commentators have raised criticisms concerning how the measurements were made and sources of error others have argued that the energy produced is so significant even knocking off an order of magnitude on either axis still portrays a process with insanely valuable output. - (bold and color emphasis added)

This is not, of course, the last word or even one anywhere near the end of this story but unless this is one of the most elaborate hoaxes in scientific history it looks like the world may well be about to change. How quick will depend solely on Rossi.

View the complete article at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibb...nge-after-all/
                  B. Steadman

Comment

Free Republic is running a thread titled, 'Finally! Independent Testing Of Rossi's E-Cat Cold Fusion Device', which was started 5/21/2013 by 'Kevmo'

The thread references a 5/21/2013 Vortex-L via Forbes article by Mark Gibbs - http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l.../msg80452.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3022044/posts
                    B. Steadman

Comment

LENR — The Next Phase

E-Cat World

By admin
                      5/21/2013

Excerpt:

For over two years now the big question that has been discussed here on E-Cat World, day in and day out, is whether the E-Cat technology is really creating significant excess energy. In my estimation, the publication of the 3rd party report today has helped to answer that question for many — but there is a long way to go before there is general acceptance of the reality of LENR as a viable and superior source of energy. There is more evidence needed to convince many, and I am sure there are still plenty of people taking a wait-and-see attitude pending more information.

I have always thought that the publication of a decent 3rd party report would be a watershed moment in this story and would move us into a new phase of this fascinating saga — and I think that has happened. I have noticed that just from the amount of traffic I have seen on this site of the last couple of days that there is much more attention than normal. Hits on ECW have about doubled since the publication of the report, and seems to be holding quite steady — indicating a new level of interest in the technology.

My goal in starting E-Cat World in April 2011 was to bring attention to LENR in general, and especially the E-Cat, which I believed to be a very important discovery. I am of the opinion that Andrea Rossi has made a great breakthrough in the development of his invention, and that it is something that could provide real solution to some of the pressing energy problems the world faces.

My feeling now is that with the publication of this report there needs to be more awareness about LENR and it’s potential for benefiting the world. I would like to see this and other websites which cover LENR play a part in helping to spread awareness, especially when there seems to be little attention being paid by more influential mainstream sites.

There are many people from all over the world who are feeling energized and positive about this technology and who want to do something to move the cause along. One of the greatest assets of E-Cat World is its readership, many of whom I have found to be intelligent and capable people who believe in the potential of LENR and want to see it put to good use. I’d like to see if we might be able to engage in some efforts together to share the news about important things in the field, such as the report that has just been published.

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/05/le...-next-phase-2/
                      B. Steadman

Comment

SVT Documentary Andrea Rossis Ecat

Published on May 23, 2013

A documentary from the Swedish Television Regarding the scientist Andre Rossi and his invention the E-cat, short for Energy Catalyzer.
                        Recently a Independent Validation was published regarding this promising technology by an International Science Team.
                        B. Steadman

Comment

Enjoyed the video.

PS- Sweden is my favorite country in all of Europe.

Comment

Rossi Update: E-Cat Built Solely By Partner Works Perfectly

E-Cat World

By Admin
                            7/9/2013

Excerpt:

This seems to be an important update from Andrea Rossi posted on the JONP:

AND HERE IS AN UPDATE OF TODAY, JULY 8TH:

The past three days have been holidays for most, but for us have been a tremendous period of work during which we made a historic page for what concerns our tech: for the first time, an E-Cat module, entirely produced by our USA Partner in the new factory ( a magnificence), charged with the charge made by the Partner’s CEO, using the materials we teached to buy, prepare,manipulate, treat, to make the charges, assembled , insulated, has started its operation, and the results are the same of the E-Cats built by us. This event means that for the first time an E-Cat not built by me, not controlled by me and not charged by me, not tested in my factory, but manufactured from third parties upon our instructions and know how has worked properly. This is the first unit of the plant that will give to the factory of our USA Partner all its necessary thermal energy, and is also the school ship for the employees. It is very important that it has been completely made by the Customer, not by me: it is the first of millions, but the first is always special. We celebrated with Coca Cola ( alcohol is forbidden in that factory). All the former plants, even if built in the USA, had been supplied with reactors cores made by me, so this is a very important step.

It would seem from this report that this is a very important step. The partner now can apparently independently manufacture E-Cats without any input from Rossi. This news should help to calm the fears of those who wonder what might happen to the technology if Rossi is no longer with us. The instructions AR has provided seem to be good ones, and it will be very difficult now to snuff out this technology with all the necessary data secured with a corporation.

One interesting detail provided here is where Rossi says that the charge was “made by the partner’s CEO”, which implies that the CEO is personally involved in the manufacture of the E-Cat — perhaps the only person in the company who knows the secrets?

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/07/ro...orks-pefectly/
                            B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
                            X