Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Goes Birther On Ted Cruz; He Will Have To Address His Article II Ineligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Goes Birther On Ted Cruz; He Will Have To Address His Article II Ineligibility

Redux: Trump Goes Birther Again; He Will Have To Clear Up His Article II Presidential Eligibility

Birther Report

1/24/2015

Excerpt:

Donald Trump Goes Birther On Ted Cruz; He Will Have To Address His Article II Ineligibility

Donald Trump told a room full of reporters in Iowa that U.S. Senator Ted Cruz must clear up his Article II constitutional ineligibility before he goes too far. For those that don't know Senator Cruz was born in Canada.

Excerpts via Dallas Morning News:

Donald Trump says Ted Cruz’s Canadian birth “could be a difficult problem” for 2016 bid

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Billionaire Donald Trump, the most prominent “birther” to question Barack Obama’s eligibility to serve as president, asserted Friday that Sen. Ted Cruz must clear up legal doubts about his own eligibility due to his birth outside the United States.

“It’s a problem. It could be a difficult problem, but he admits that he was born in Canada,” Trump told reporters in Iowa on the eve of the first major gathering of 2016 presidential hopefuls.

“He’s a friend of mine. I have great respect for him. But …certainly it’s a stumbling block and he’s going to have to have it solved before he goes too far,” Trump said.

[...]

“He’s going to have to solve that problem. It could end up in litigation. It could take a long period of time.… It’s certainly a stumbling block that he has that other people don’t have,” Trump said, suggesting that Cruz might only be able to put any doubts to rest by going to court.

“Perhaps he’s going to have to go in for declaratory judgments. Perhaps he’s going to get rulings from some group of electioneers. He’s going to have to do something. Because it is a problem that a lot of people have been mentioning,” Trump said. “He’s going to have to get it resolved one way or the other. And I hope he gets it resolved in a positive way because I think he’ll add a lot.”

Canadian law, like that of the United States, confers citizenship automatically for nearly everyone born on the country’s soil, whether that person wants it or not.

Under U.S. law, a baby born overseas is entitled to American citizenship if at least one parent is an American.

The U.S. Constitution requires a president to be a “natural born” citizen. The popular understanding has long been that this means being born on American soil. But Cruz was entitled to American citizenship at birth.

Because of that, a strong legal consensus has emerged that Cruz is, in fact, eligible, and the senator has insisted as much. [...] Continued @ Dallas Morning News. Hat tip BSE.

The popular understanding?

Since when do we base U.S. law and constitutional requirements on so-called pundits popular understanding?

Oh, that's right! >>> 2008

Some fun facts ...

"natural born Citizen" is only mentioned one place in the U.S. Constitution and that's for presidential eligibility:

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the U.S. Constitution;

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Unless Obama, Cruz, Rubio or Jindal has been here since the signing of the U.S.C., they're S.O.L.!

Constitutionally speaking.

And just so we're clear. Here's the requirements for a U.S. Congressperson:

Article I, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution;

No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of twenty five years, and been seven years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state in which he shall be chosen.

Here's the requirements for a U.S. Senator:

Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution;

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

Even the 14th amendment, which has no bearing on Article II, does not include "natural born Citizen" in it anywhere.

14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution;

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. [...]

Obviously, there's a huge difference between natural born Citizen, Citizen and naturalized.

Members of both major parties attempted many times to amend or redefine Article II without success.

Now they're going for the double whammy. As I stated this past week; Two wrongs don't make a right.

View the complete Birther Report presentation at:

http://www.birtherreport.com/2015/01...n-he-will.html
    B. Steadman
Working...
X