• Show
Clear All

• ITB - Obama Campaign Video: Romney Palling Around With Birther Trump

Obama Campaign Video: Romney Palling Around With Birther Trump

Rolling Stone

Jillian Rayfield
    5/29/2012

Excerpt:

"The Obama campaign went up with a new web video today knocking Mitt Romney for his embrace of birther Donald Trump. As a Romney surrogate, the Donald has been raising cash and taping robocalls for Mitt and spending his down time spewing nonsense about the president. "Look, a publisher came out last week and had a statement about Obama given to them by Obama when he was doing a book as a young man a number of years ago in the ’90s: ‘Born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia.'" Trump told CNBC Tuesday.

The Obama video pounces on Trump's most recent birther tear, contrasting Romney's attitude to that of John McCain, who during his 2008 presidential race with Obama "stood up to the voices of extremism in his party." After a clip in which a McCain supporter calling Obama an Arab at a campaign event, McCain is seen calmly but firmly responding: "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man, citizen, that I just happen to have disagreements with."

(Trump quickly responded to the Obama video with a tweet: "@BarackObama is practically begging @MittRomney to disavow the place of birth movement, he is afraid of it and for good reason. He keeps using @SenJohnMcCain as an example, however, @SenJohnMcCain lost the election. Don’t let it happen again.")

"Why won't Mitt Romney do the same?" the video asks, before jumping to a jaunty reel of some of Trump's most birther-tastic comments.

A Romney spokesman today reiterated that Mitt believes Obama was born in the U.S., and that while "the Democrats can talk about Donald Trump all they want, Mitt Romney is going to talk about jobs." Not exactly a repudiation! "You know, I don’t agree with all the people who support me and my guess is they don’t all agree with everything I believe in," Romney told reporters on Monday when asked about Trump's recent comments, the New York Times reports. "But I need to get 50.1 percent or more and I’m appreciative to have the help of a lot of good people." Translation: "I'm running for office, for Pete's sake! I need birthers!"

Funny, because during the primary campaign Romney distanced himself from some of the more extremist views of his Republican opponents. "It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments," Romney said in February. "We’ve seen throughout the campaign that if you’re willing to say really outrageous things that are accusatory and attacking President Obama that you’re going to jump up in the polls. You know, I’m not willing to light my hair on fire to try and get support. I am who I am."

Evidently, he's just going to let Trump do the hair-lighting."

View the complete article, including the Obama Campaign Video, at:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ogate-20120529
    B. Steadman
Working...
X