Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic joins the Romney 'birther' craze -- WND, Joseph Farah

Atlantic joins the Romney 'birther' craze

Exclusive: Joseph Farah shares response to reporter questioning Republican's document

WND

Joseph Farah, 'Between the Lines' Editorial
    6/1/2012

Excerpt:

"This week the Atlantic joined the “birther” craze – by writing to a WND staffer questioning the authenticity of Mitt Romney’s certificate of live birth.

Here’s that letter in its entirety, followed by my response. (Only the email addresses have been removed to protect the innocent):

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:12 AM
    Subject: interview request from the Atlantic on new birth certificate news

My name is Elspeth Reeve and I’m a reporter for The Atlantic. I read that you worked with Jerome Corsi and have covered the birth certificate issue, so I was wondering if I could get your take on Mitt Romney’s birth certificate, which has just been released. You can see it here.

What do you think? Does it look solid to you? Does it satisfy citizenship requirements to be elected president? Are you bothered that it’s labeled “certificate of live birth”?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Elspeth Reeve

Here is my response:

Unlike the Atlantic and any other media, WND thoroughly investigated Mitt Romney’s constitutional eligibility early in the primary season. We would have considered it very newsworthy if there were evidence of ineligibility. We could find none – only evidence supporting his eligibility. (As you may know, WND has been widely criticized by Republicans and conservatives for reporting that Marco Rubio has a serious eligibility problem. I have personally been banned from any appearances on Fox since pointing this out on air months ago.)

Both of Romney’s parents were citizens at the time of his birth. That’s the biggest hurdle one has to be a “natural born citizen,” as the Constitution requires. He was also born in the U.S., though I don’t believe that is really a critical issue, as we learned in 2008, when John McCain, born in Panama, was determined to be constitutionally eligible in a unanimous decision by the U.S. Senate.

That it is labeled “certificate of live birth” is a non-issue. To my knowledge, Michigan did not have lax policies that offered such certificates to those born outside the U.S., as Hawaii did in 1961."

View the complete article at:

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/atlantic-...birther-craze/
    B. Steadman
Working...
X