Clear All

• Donald Trump’s comments on illegal immigrants divide 2016 GOP hopefuls

Donald Trump’s comments on illegal immigrants divide 2016 GOP hopefuls

Ted Cruz salutes mogul while Jeb Bush, Rick Perry look to create distance

The Washington Times

Valerie Richardson
    7/5/2015

Excerpt:

Several Republicans moved to distance themselves from billionaire Donald Trump’s comments on illegal immigrants fueling crime even as Mr. Trump doubled down, citing last week’s San Francisco shooting to bolster his case.

At an Independence Day parade in Merrimack, New Hampshire, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said Mr. Trump “doesn’t represent the Republican Party or its values.”

“He thinks that every Mexican crossing the border is a rapist? I mean, so he’s doing this to inflame and to incite and to draw attention, which seems to be his organizing principle of his campaign,” Mr. Bush told reporters.

The reaction to Mr. Trump’s remarks was fodder for the Sunday talk shows, during which Republican lawmakers were repeatedly asked by journalists to disavow the comments or stand by them. Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry said, “I will stand up and say those [comments] were offensive, which they were.”

“The fact is, I’ve said very clearly that Donald Trump does not represent the Republican Party,” Mr. Perry said on ABC’s “This Week.”

“I was offended by his remarks. Hispanics in America and Hispanics in Texas from the Alamo to Afghanistan have been extraordinary citizens of our country and our state, they have served nobly, and to paint with that broad a brush as Donald Trump did — he’s going to have to defend those remarks,” Mr. Perry said.

In interviews and posts on Twitter, however, Mr. Trump defended the comments from his June 16 announcement for the Republican presidential nomination, when he said illegal immigrants from Mexico are “bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime.”

He added, “They’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people.”

He cited the shooting death of 32-year-old Kathryn Steinle, who was walking along San Francisco’s Pier 14 with her father Wednesday. Arrested in connection with the shooting was Francisco Sanchez, 45, who had been deported five times and was released in March by San Francisco officials, consistent with the city’s “sanctuary policy” despite the federal government’s request to detain him.

“As seen with the tragic and unnecessary death of Kathryn Steinle this past week in San Francisco at the hands of an illegal immigrant who was previously deported five times, our unsecured border is a national security threat,” Mr. Trump said in a statement to Breitbart News.

Not all Republicans were critical of Mr. Trump. Deliberately avoiding the Trump pile-on was Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, who said he refused to participate in “Republican-on-Republican violence” and that liberal journalists were trying to make a talking point and to stifle discussion of immigration.

“I salute Donald Trump for focusing on the need to address illegal immigration,” Mr. Cruz said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“The Washington cartel doesn’t want to address that. The Washington cartel doesn’t believe we need to secure the borders. The Washington cartel supports amnesty, and I think amnesty’s wrong. And I salute Donald Trump for focusing on it,” Mr. Cruz said.

He said Mr. Trump “has a colorful way of speaking. It’s not the way I speak. But I’m not going to engage in the media’s game of throwing rocks and attacking other Republicans.”

View the complete article, including photo, at:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...grants-divide/
    B. Steadman

VIDEO: Donald Trump Media Buzz FULL Interview. Trump 'I Can Never Apologize for the Truth'

Published on Jul 5, 2015 by 'Les Grossman NEW OFFICIAL CHANNEL'

Donald Trump hit back at his critics on "Media Buzz" today, saying that he "can't apologize" for making truthful statements about illegal immigrants and Mexico. Howard Kurtz asked the 2016 presidential candidate if he will apologize for the controversial statements he made about illegal immigrants and Mexico.

"I don't have to say that," Trump replied. "In terms of the border, it's a disgrace. Either we have a border or we don't have a country."

"I can never apologize for the truth, I don't mind apologizing for things, but I can't apologize for the truth," he added. "I said tremendous crime is coming across, everybody knows that's true, and it's happening all the time." Trump proclaimed that he's not a racist.

"I'm number two and I'm going up, people take me very seriously," Trump stated. "Frankly, I'm the one that's going to bring back health to the country. I'm going to make America great again; politicians aren't going to do that."

Trump said that he thinks his poll numbers will increase, because some Americans agree with his stance on immigration.
    Last edited by bsteadman; 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM.
    B. Steadman

Comment

VIDEO: Trump on Illegal Immigration: 'If You Talk About It, You're a Racist'

Published on Jul 4, 2015 by 'Breaking News'

Donald Trump weighed in on "Fox and Friends Weekend" today about an illegal immigrant who allegedly murdered a San Francisco woman Wednesday.

Police said Kathryn Steinle was shot and killed while out for a stroll with her father along the waterfront at Pier 14.

Authorities arrested Francisco Sanchez for Steinle's murder an hour after the shooting.

According to Fox News, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials revealed that their records indicate Sanchez was previously deported five times. Sanchez is also from Mexico.

Trump said that Steinle's death is "so sad."
      Last edited by bsteadman; 07-06-2015, 10:07 PM.
      B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
      X