• Show
Clear All

• Romney rerun falls flat with Republican lawmakers

Romney falls flat with GOP lawmakers
    The Hill
    By Jonathan Easley
    January 13, 2015, 08:34 pm

Excerpt:

Republican lawmakers aren’t jumping on the Mitt Romney 2016 bandwagon.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Romney’s congressional liaison for his 2012 run, said Tuesday he might support one of his Senate colleagues for president.

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), who backed Romney before the 2012 Iowa caucus, said he’s going to “wait and see.”

“What we know about Romney last time, he lost the election with working Americans,” said the conservative senator, who backed Romney in 2012. “[Among] those making $30,000 to $50,000, he lost it by 15 percent, and [those making] under $30,000 by 28 percent. You can’t win an election like that. And it can’t just be words. I’ll be looking for candidates who are authentic, who have credibility.”

Several, like Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Blunt, also have ties to the Bush family, and could be wooed by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who’s also exploring a run. Portman was former President George W. Bush’s budget director, while Blunt was the House GOP whip during his administration and helped push the White House’s agenda through Congress.

“There are a lot of qualified candidates on the Republican side and it will be a great opportunity for all of us to support someone who has a better vision [than President Obama] for this country,” the freshman senator said.

Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.), another Romney backer from 2012, also said he’d have to see how things shake out.

“I’m going to reserve judgment. It’s too early in the process for me to make that decision,” he said. “We’re going to have quite a number of good candidates.”

“I haven’t had a conversation with Mitt Romney since the last time he was in Iowa in 2012, so I wouldn’t know what’s behind his motivations,” said Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who held out before finally endorsing Romney in 2012.

“Who?” Portman asked jokingly. The Washington Post reported Romney had phoned the senator over the weekend.

“I don’t know if he is [running] or not,” Portman told The Hill.

GOP indifference in Washington underscores the challenges Romney will face if he embarks on another presidential run. He struggled throughout the last presidential cycle to excite the conservative base, and that will be just as big of an issue in 2016 if he runs.

“There are some in Washington who put forth the theory that the path to electoral victory is nominating the most moderate candidates we can find,” said conservative Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who’s also weighing a presidential bid.

“It is not a path to winning and if we nominate a candidate in 2016 in the same mold as Bob Dole, or John McCain or Mitt Romney … then the same voters who stayed home in 2008 and 2012 will stay home in 2016, and Hillary Clinton will be the next president,” Cruz continued.

“One of the questions for Mitt Romney is, are you going to run the same campaign as last time? If so, then you may not be the right candidate,” said Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.). “If you’re prepared to run a thoughtful, learned-from-experience campaign, then we’d like to hear your thoughts.

“It cannot be identical to last time, because many people were disappointed in his ability to properly define who he was and what he would do,” Issa warned. “That’s not a left or right statement, but it’s a statement about his campaign, which was certainly not good enough to define a clear difference between RomneyCare and ObamaCare, between Romney foreign affairs and Obama foreign affairs, and so on.”

Read more at:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-gop-lawmakers

>>> BULLGRAVY . THE ONLY REASON Mitt Romney is not our president is the massive voter fraud in many states . Romney and the AMERICAN people were cheated twice .

Comment

Conservatives shrug off Bush and Romney, remain confident in base-friendly hopefuls

The Washington Post
      By Robert Costa
      January 14, 2016

Excerpt:

Conservative leaders this week shrugged off the sudden moves by Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney toward 2016 presidential campaigns, saying the two establishment-friendly candidates are too far out of touch with grass-roots activists to win the Republican nomination.

At the same time, potential candidates with close ties to the party’s conservative base have moved to speed up their own efforts in response.

Senior advisers to several of the potential conservative candidates said Wednesday that GOP insurgents will have to do more in 2016 than they did in previous cycles to make a serious run for the Republican nomination. Building a campaign nest egg and winning the support of mega-donors to fill the coffers of allied super PACs has become a particular priority.

Read more at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...5b4_story.html

Comment

Romney exit jolts 2016 GOP field

The Hill
        by Jonathan Easley
        Jan. 30, 2015

Excerpt:

Mitt Romney shook up the 2016 GOP field on Friday with his announcement that he won’t be seeking the presidency for a third time.

In a call with supporters early on Friday, the 2012 nominee said it’s time to “give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee.”

“I’ve been asked, and will certainly be asked again if there are any circumstances whatsoever that might develop that could change my mind,” Romney said. “That seems unlikely. Accordingly, I’m not organizing a PAC or taking donations and I’m not hiring a campaign team.”

Potential GOP candidates were respectful in their responses to the former Massachusetts governor’s decision, which came after a surprising three week flirtation with another run.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush thanked Romney for his service and said he hopes his “days of serving our nation and our party are not over.” Sen. Marco Rubio said he “deeply respect[s]” Romney’s decision to “give the next generation a chance to lead.”

Romney took an apparent swipe at Bush — the son and brother of two former presidents — on his conference call. The two are among the most recognized names in the party, and Romney said he was confident that someone in the huge field of GOP contenders, likely “one who is just getting started,” would emerge to defeat the Democratic nominee.

“I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee,” Romney said.

Read more at:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...s-out-for-2016

Comment

Working...
        X