Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Left Turns: Professor Cornel West Unloads; Obama Is A Counterfeit; We Got Played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Left Turns: Professor Cornel West Unloads; Obama Is A Counterfeit; We Got Played

As The Left Turns: Professor Cornel West Unloads; Obama Is A Counterfeit; We Got Played

Birther Report

8/25/2014

Excerpt:

As The Left Turns: Professor Cornel West Unloads; Obama Is A Counterfeit; A Brown-Faced Clinton

Salon interviewed Cornel West to get his thoughts on Obama's overall performance... pretending to be President.

Interview excerpt via Thomas Frank @ Salon: Cornel West talks Ferguson, Hillary, MSNBC -- and unloads on the failed promise of Barack Obama

So that’s my first question, it’s a lot of ground to cover but how do you feel things have worked out since then, both with the economy and with this president? That was a huge turning point, that moment in 2008, and my own feeling is that we didn’t turn.

No, the thing is he posed as a progressive and turned out to be counterfeit. We ended up with a Wall Street presidency, a drone presidency, a national security presidency. The torturers go free. The Wall Street executives go free. The war crimes in the Middle East, especially now in Gaza, the war criminals go free. And yet, you know, he acted as if he was both a progressive and as if he was concerned about the issues of serious injustice and inequality and it turned out that he’s just another neoliberal centrist with a smile and with a nice rhetorical flair. And that’s a very sad moment in the history of the nation because we are—we’re an empire in decline. Our culture is in increasing decay. Our school systems are in deep trouble. Our political system is dysfunctional. Our leaders are more and more bought off with legalized bribery and normalized corruption in Congress and too much of our civil life. You would think that we needed somebody—a Lincoln-like figure who could revive some democratic spirit and democratic possibility.

That’s exactly what everyone was saying at the time.

That’s right. That’s true. It was like, “We finally got somebody who can help us turn the corner.” And he posed as if he was a kind of Lincoln.

Yeah. That’s what everyone was saying.

And we ended up with a brown-faced Clinton. Another opportunist. Another neoliberal opportunist. It’s like, “Oh, no, don’t tell me that!” I tell you this, because I got hit hard years ago, but everywhere I go now, it’s “Brother West, I see what you were saying. Brother West, you were right. Your language was harsh and it was difficult to take, but you turned out to be absolutely right.” And, of course with Ferguson, you get it reconfirmed even among the people within his own circle now, you see. It’s a sad thing. It’s like you’re looking for John Coltrane and you get Kenny G in brown skin.

When you say you got hit hard, are you talking about the personal confrontation you had with him?

I’m just thinking about the vicious attacks of the Obama cheerleaders.

The personal confrontation you had with him is kind of famous. He got angry at you because you were saying he wasn’t progressive enough.

I just looked at him like “C’mon, man. Let the facts speak for themselves. I’m not into this rhetorical exchange.”

Is there anybody who thinks he’s progressive enough today?

Nobody I know. Not even among the progressive liberals. Nobody I know. Part of this, as you can imagine, is that early on there was a strong private-public distinction. People would come to me and say privately, “We see what you’re saying. We think you’re too harsh in how you say it but we agree very much with what you’re saying in private.” In public, no comment. Now, more and more of it spills over in public.

There’s a lot of disillusionment now. My liberal friends included. The phrase that I have heard from more than one person in the last year is they feel like they got played.

That’s true. That’s exactly right. What I hear is that, “He pimped us.” I heard that a zillion times. “He pimped us, brother West.” That’s another way of saying “we got played.” [...] Continued @ Salon. Also @ Weekly Standard.

Obama even lost NY Times' Maureen Dowd. Over the weekend she penned a scathing rebuke of Golfer Obama.

View the complete Birther Report presentation at:

http://www.birtherreport.com/2014/08...rnel-west.html
    B. Steadman

>>> PROGRESSIVE is a flaming misnomer . All demonrats and liberals are regressive , oppressive , digressive and most of all they are subversive .

Comment

Working...
    X