Americans protest amnesty in 319 cities

Rallies strong despite 'media blackout' from CNN, CBS, NBC, Fox News

WND

Leo Hohmann
    7/18/2014

Excerpt:

Call it the summer of discontent.

Or simmering anger.

As Central American children continue to illegally pour across the U.S. southern border, thousands of Americans poured onto the streets Friday in 319 cities and towns across the country.

A group in Birmingham, Alabama, toted signs with the slogans “No illegal immigrants period” and “You can’t fix stupid.”

Joyce Stockton, 71, from Chickasha, Oklahoma, came from 50 miles away to protest on an overpass at Interstate-240 and Pennsylvania Avenue in Oklahoma City.

She said she plans to get some rest tonight and hit the streets again Saturday either in Oklahoma City or in Lawton, which is the home of Fort Sill and one of the temporary shelters taking in illegal immigrants.

“This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this,” Stockton told WND. “I’ve been involved in the tea party for five years, but this is my first time at a protest like this, and I am just amazed at how much support is being shown.”

She said the crowd grew as some people who didn’t know anything about the protests came and joined in spontaneously.

“People stopped and came up and said hello, and said, ‘I appreciate what you’re doing and I support you doing it and we’ll be back tomorrow.’ We’ve had a lot of honks. A lot of truckers honking, too,” Stockton said.

The protests will continue Saturday on highway overpasses, in state capitals, Mexican consulates and facilities receiving the illegal aliens.

The event is coordinated by a coalition of 50 organizations and three main sponsors – Americans for Legal Immigration, Overpasses for America and Make Them Listen. A list of locations and times for Saturday’s protests can be found here.

James Neighbors, founder and president of Overpasses for America, was also in Oklahoma City protesting Friday.

“It’s just Americana out here. I mean it really is,” he said.

But it didn’t take long before Americana had an encounter with the “other side.”

“We had a group of counter-protesters come out; about half a dozen came from the apartment complex down the road, and I found out from one of the people who lives here that it’s a majority of illegal aliens who live there,” Neighbors said. “When they first showed up it was kind of heated, nothing nasty. But they were kinda hostile and we were kinda hostile back.”

Yet, as the two groups talked, they discovered they had more in common than not.

“We ended up talking, and we agreed on every single issue. He was a self-described libertarian, and the only issue we disagreed on was illegal immigration,” Neighbors said. “That’s a lot of common ground to cover.”

He called the conversation “an eye opener, as it turned out to be pleasant to speak to him.”

“He said he agreed with the Constitution, and if the people were able to bear arms in these countries where they’re coming from, we wouldn’t have this border mess, because they would have solved this problem already,” Neighbors said. “Maybe they need a 1776 moment. Maybe we should stop funding terrorists and start funding freedom fighters here in our own hemisphere.”

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration, said the first day of protests went about as well as could be expected for a first-time grassroots event that received very little publicity in the establishment media.

“We’re still collecting information, but it looks like in a lot of places we had 30 to 50 people, some places a dozen or so, some just a handful,” Gheen said.

View the complete article at:

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/americans...in-319-cities/
    B. Steadman
Working...
X