Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Kerning' of printed letters, as perhaps shown on the CPGH-BC, WAS possible in 1961

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Kerning' of printed letters, as perhaps shown on the CPGH-BC, WAS possible in 1961

Typography, Act Four: The Life-Story of a Kenya Chief. (Dr. Conspiracy please stop throwing chess pieces at me).

Lucas Daniel Smith's Blog

Lucas Daniel Smith
    2/17/2013

Excerpts:

The book, The Life-Story of a Kenya Chief : The Life of Chief Kasina Ndoo (as told to J.B. Carson), was published and printed in the year 1958.

The book appears to have been published by London Evans Brothers Limited in Association with the East African Literature Bureau. The physical printing and binding appears to have been conducted in England by Hazell Watson and Viney Ltd Aylesbury and Slough.

I own the book ... and have it in my person possession. ...

The book itself contains, at least, 433 words which exhibit examples of kerning in which ascenders (the part of a letter that extends above the main part such as the tops of b,d,f,h,k and l) hang over an adjacent letter.

The book itself contains, at least, 29 words which exhibit examples of kerning in which descenders (the part of a letter that extends below the level of its base such as the bottoms of g,j,y,q and p) hang under an adjacent letter.
    - (bold emphasis added in the above two paragraphs)

In my previous report, Typography, Act Three: ascenders and descenders. (Definitive proof that Dr. Conspiracy is full of ordure)., I offered what I called the ‘Obot/Birther Challenge’. Two groups of words were provided. One group was called ‘ascenders’ and another group was called ‘descenders’.

I asked participants to tell me whether or not each word, individually, contained an example (or examples) of kerning in which the ascenders hung over adjacent letter and descenders under adjacent letters. ...

It appears that only two individuals posted their findings and ... both concurred that the sort kerning described above could be observed in all of the words and in both of the groups.

The words, in both groups, were scanned from the book, The Life-Story of a Kenya Chief : The Life of Chief Kasina Ndoo, which was printed and bound in the year 1958, approximately three (3) years before Barack Hussein Obama II’s Coast Province General Hospital (CPGH), Mombasa, British Protectorate of Kenya, Certificate of Birth (1961) was issued.

A couple of years ago Dr. Conspiracy wrote, with the aid of a furtive and seemingly delusive and self-proclaimed pressman (calls himself “Sean” and has a friend named “Howling Coyote”) with a curriculum vitae supposedly dating to the 1950s, that Obama’s 1961 CPGH Kenyan certificate of birth is a forgery on grounds that the document contains, in their opinion, an example of kerning in which the descender of the letter y hangs under the letter n in the word Kenya.

It is the position of Dr. Conspiracy, ‘Sean’ and ‘Howling Coyote’ that such kerning was not yet possible in 1961.

The kerning in question was that of the y and the n in Kenya:

I’m not sure whether or not the descender of the y really does, or doesn’t, hang under the n in the Kenya. The document is a 2009 certified copy of an original 1961 document and is, to some extent, blurry and askew. It could go either way I suppose, 50/50.

What I have ascertained though is that Dr. Conspiracy and the furtive and self-proclaimed pressman/men had nearly absolutely no idea what they were talking about. -
    (bold emphasis added)

The other day I digitized Chief Kasina Ndoo’s book and have now uploaded it to my scribd.com account (Patriot1980). I have embedded the said upload ... for review:

One other notable, and useful, passage from the book is as follows:

Page 15 thru 16. “I am not quite sure of the date of my birth. In Ukamba we date things from the years of the famines, and I know that I was about ten years old at the time of the greatest of famines – the Nzaa wa Ngomanisye of 1898.“

Some skeptics of Barack Obama’s 1961 CPGH Kenyan birth certificate have made accusations that the document is a forgery on the grounds that it does not list a full date of birth (only the year is given) for Obama’s father.
    - (bold emphasis added)

Conclusion: Kerning in which descenders and ascenders hang under and over adjacent letters was possible, and existed in printed matter such as books and documents, prior to the year 1961 when Barack Hussein Obama II’s Coast Province General Hospital (CPGH), Mombasa, British Protectorate of Kenya, Certificate of Birth was issued. - (bold and color emphasis added)

I think it is very fitting that it turned out to be an esteemed Chief of Kenya, Kasina Ndoo, who has vindicated the typography and kerning on Barack Obama’s 1961 CPGH birth certificate. Thank you, thank you very much Chief Kasina Ndoo.

View the complete post at:

http://www.wasobamaborninkenya.com/b...-pieces-at-me/
    B. Steadman
Working...
X