• Show
Clear All

• Pendergraph 'suspicious' of Obama's birthplace -- Charlotte Observer

Pendergraph 'suspicious' of Obama's birthplace

Charlotte Observer

Jim Morrill
    5/3/2012

Excerpt:

"Few people are as publicly identified with the so-called “birther” issue as Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has his own “posse” on the case.

Last weekend, Arpaio shared his skepticism about President Barack Obama’s birthplace – and his eligibility for the White House – when he was in Charlotte campaigning for Republican congressional candidate Jim Pendergraph.

So what does Pendergraph, and for that matter other 9th District candidates, think of Obama’s legitimacy?

“I have reason to be suspicious,” he said. “But I don’t know. I haven’t seen the facts. I think there’s a lot of smoke and generally when there’s smoke there’s got to be fire somewhere.”

Obama sought to put questions about his birthplace aside last year when he released a birth certificate from Hawaii. For many people, that settled the issue.

Even Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus last year declared the issue a distraction and said, “the president was born in the United States.”

But in March, Arpaio’s group declared the birth certificate a forgery.

While Pendergraph said he’s not sure it is, he said, “I’ve been around long enough to know people can forge anything.”

Of eight other 9th District Republicans reached, some share Arpaio’s skepticism. Others give Obama the benefit of the doubt.

Edwin Peacock, a former city council member, said he definitely believes Obama was born in the U.S. Financial adviser Jon Gauthier said he assumes Obama’s citizenship “until we prove otherwise.” And Ken Leonczyk, a minister, takes Obama at his word “until I see evidence to the contrary.”

But Richard Lynch of Belmont said, “While I want to believe that Mr. Obama is a natural-born citizen, I must admit that the evidence leaves me with doubt.”

View the complete article at:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...of-obamas.html
    B. Steadman

GOP candidate loses backing over Obama birth claims

USA TODAY

Catalina Camia
    5/4/2012

Excerpt:

"A congressional candidate who cast doubts about President Obama's birth certificate has lost the support of the major newspaper in his district.

The Charlotte Observer has rescinded its endorsement of Republican Jim Pendergraph, a leading candidate seeking to replace retiring Rep. Sue Myrick , R-N.C.

Pendergraph, a former Mecklenburg County sheriff, fell out of favor with the newspaper when he sided with Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has investigated the authenticity of Obama's birth certificate.

"I have reason to be suspicious," Pendergraph told the Charlotte newspaper, a few days after he was endorsed by Arpaio. "But I don't know. I haven't seen the facts. I think there's a lot of smoke and generally when there's smoke there's got to be fire somewhere."

Obama was born in Hawaii, but the issue of whether his birth certificate is valid -- and his presidency is legitimate -- still continues to be an issue for some people. Obama's re-election campaign recently poked fun at Arpaio, as he held a news conference saying the president's birth certificate is a fake.

Richard Hudson, another GOP congressional candidate in North Carolina, reportedly told a campaign audience that "there's no question President Obama is hiding something on his citizenship," according to Roll Call."

View the complete article at:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T6QPWMXsaso
    B. Steadman

Comment

Working...
    X